Statement following ABC 7.30 programme3rd November 2020 | 3 mins
The ABC 7.30 program last night carried a story that mentioned Opal Aged Care and our former CEO, who left the organisation almost three years ago.
In 2017, Opal Aged Care commissioned an independent review of its practices, to identify any areas of improvement in our operations and culture.
While the review found Opal’s services and practices were generally of a high standard, it also identified some areas that could be improved. As a result, a number of changes have been made. These improvements help explain why Opal now has a 93.02% customer satisfaction rating.
The improvements include:
- Establishing and appointing a Director of Clinical Services
- Establishing and appointing a Director of Customer Experience & Innovation
- Establishing and appointing a Head of Dementia Care
- Implementing a customer experience management system, that allows us to more effectively act on customer feedback
- Funding 250 scholarships for Opal team members in aged care related fields to improve their skills
- Establishing the Opal Graduate Nurse Program with 75 participants to date
- Introducing the Opal Safe system for improved Workplace Health and Safety incident management
- Implementing an electronic medication management system.
- Introducing technology that enhances quality of life for residents, including ePets for residents who are living with dementia, Virtual Reality experiences that support reminiscence, Augmented Reality for sensory stimulation
- Improving communication channels, including iPads in every care home and direct mail to residents via our website to support family connections.
Opal has a number of further improvements underway, including a family communication portal and the introduction of in-house wellness centres offering individual rehabilitation programs in 24 homes, and continues to develop and enhance its services.
Home stories from across Opal
Joe finds joy at Bankstown Terrace!
When Joe first moved to Bankstown Terrace Care Community from the Sutherland Hospital, he had been living alone grieving for his wife after she had passed away. He felt he had be
17th February 2021 | 4 min
CareerTrackers paves the way for Indigenous youth
We are proud to be partnered with CareerTrackers as they drive career development opportunities for young Indigenous people in Australia. Kim, who joined our Opal family in Novem
10th February 2021 | 4 min
The importance of movement
Our in-house Wellness Centres focus on improving the mobility of our residents which among other benefits, significantly contributes to their quality of life and improves long-term
3rd February 2021 | 3 mins